Palestinian leaders vow to fight against Israel’s latest round of settlement construction
A new round of Israeli settlement construction has caused Palestinian leaders to vow to take action.
“We are not going to stop building.
We are going to fight.
We will not stop building,” Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said Monday in the West Bank city of Ramallah.
The announcement came after a two-week delay in the government’s decision to approve the construction of several new housing units.
The government approved construction of 2,000 housing units in East Jerusalem and the West-Bank city of Nablus, but only in Nablu.
Israel has been building more than 6,000 new housing blocks since a 2014 agreement to end the Palestinian uprising that began in the occupied West Bank.
The new construction, which will create more than 1,100 new housing housing units, was first announced by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a speech in Ramallah on Friday.
“The Palestinian leadership will continue to make sure that Israel cannot build in Jerusalem and NablUS and that it will not allow settlements to be built in the holy city,” Netanyahu said.
The move was widely condemned by the international community, including the United States, which condemned the construction as “illegal and dangerous.”
The United Nations, which considers the West Jerusalem settlement of Maale Adumim illegal, has called on Israel to end settlement construction in the city.
Netanyahu’s government has also announced plans to approve several more settlements, which would expand the existing settlements to more than 600 acres.
The plan has been backed by several Israeli politicians, including former prime minister Ehud Olmert and former justice minister Tzipi Livni.
Abbas, who is seeking to become the Palestinian Authority’s next president, has been outspoken in his criticism of Israeli policies.
He has repeatedly called for a boycott of Israel, including a recent statement that called on the Israeli government to end its occupation of the West bank.
“There is no alternative to the establishment of Palestinian state,” Abbas said in his speech.
“That is our future.
We have no other choice but to achieve this.”
The announcement comes after the government announced last week that it would not be approving new settlement construction as it has in previous years.
“It is clear that we have reached a point where we cannot accept any new settlement activity,” Interior Minister Gilad Erdan told reporters.
“I am not afraid of the future, I am not going into it.
We need to do it quickly and we have to do this quickly,” he said.
In a separate development, a Palestinian official in Ramah, a city in the Gaza Strip, said he was fired over his criticism in an internal memo sent to members of the cabinet, according to a report in the Al Jazeera English website.
The memo, titled “A new generation of Palestinian leaders,” was obtained by the news agency Al Jazeera.
It read that the Palestinian official “disregarded the need to carry out the government policies” that would allow him to stay on in the post.
He also wrote that he believed “the Palestinian leadership is being run by a few individuals who are trying to avoid responsibility for the consequences of their actions and do not have any regard for the values of the Palestinian people,” the report said.
Al Jazeera’s Zeina Khodr, reporting from Jerusalem, said the memo could be interpreted as a signal to Palestinian leaders that they were being watched.
“As you will see, the new Palestinian leadership has become a little bit more cautious.
It’s not a new trend, but it’s one that we saw coming out of the last year,” she said.
“This is a sign that it’s a little more open and a little less closed.
It seems to be a sign of what is to come.”